Cast of Wonders is currently closed to general submissions. Our Banned Book Week submission call runs May 15 through May 31.
By sending us your story you understand and agree that:
You are the original creator of the work submitted to us;
You are the copyright holder of the work;
You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of non-exclusive electronic print and audio rights to the work;
All information in the contact and cover sections of your submission is accurate and truthful;
You accept sole responsibility for any false statements or encumbrances upon rights not disclosed to us.
- If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf.
- The story must be no more than 500 words long, not including its title. Do not use the title to skirt around the word count. Word count will be determined using Google Docs.
- The story must adhere to the general Cast of Wonders Submission Guidelines. Most importantly, it needs to evoke a sense of wonder and be appropriate for a YA audience. We aim for a 12-17 age range: that means sophisticated, non-condescending stories with wide appeal, and without explicit sex, violence or pervasive obscene language.
- The story must be original and previously unpublished. Stories will be posted on a members-only portion of the Escape Artists forum, so first publication rights will not be spent if your story does not win.
- The person submitting the story must be the story's author (or acting for the author with express permission) and hold full publishing rights to the story. A story that is derived from a previously published work in another format (i.e. not a short story) is fine (assuming doing so isn't in violation of copyright, obviously).
- If you are not sure whether your story counts as published or not (for example, if an earlier version has appeared on your blog but nowhere else), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "QUERY" and ask before submitting. Please do not submit stories that have been entries in a previous Escape Artists contest.
- The story must be submitted in its final form, as the author intends it to be read by the voting public. We may or may not allow minor typo corrections if those slip in, but as a general rule, we will not allow authors to submit changes to stories, especially not after submissions are closed.
- Each author may submit only ONE story.
- Included in the body of the submission must be the title and the text. Any byline will be stripped when the stories are posted in the contest, and will be revealed when either the story fails to advance, or ultimately wins. Feel free to request a pseudonym for the byline, but we will need a legal name if you win for prize purposes. Please also be sure to include an email address!
- Winners will be paid $30, making this a pro sale of at least six cents a word.